The Homecoming Parade of 2018

Megan Harvey, Reporter

With the emergence of fall, most members of the public prepare themselves for the cold weather by bundling up, lighting the fireplace, and stocking their shelves high with hot cocoa. To that same majority, this time of year symbolizes change, closure, and being thankful. However, to the students at Alden High School, the colorful leaves and crisp air means only one thing. Homecoming Season. While the people of Western New York begin layering on the jackets and shopping for winter wear, Alden High School’s first priority is preparing themselves for the homecoming festivities ahead. The football team does some of it’s final training, girls rush to the store for last minute dresses, and students put some of the last touches on their class’s hallway decorations. However, before the first leaf of autumn had even the chance to fall, members of the float committee put themselves to work in the middle of summer, some even starting as early as July.

On October 11th, each class showed off their floats in the homecoming parade of 2018. This year, the homecoming theme was cartoons, and each class’s float corresponded with the hallway decorations. The freshman class was Scooby Doo, the sophomore class was Phineas and Ferb, the junior class was Charlie Brown, and the senior class was Spongebob Squarepants. As the floats circled the area around the school and candy was thrown to the eager parade go-ers, the marching band played close behind, and the dazzling members of the homecoming court waved elegantly to the crowd. As the parade began to wind down, the rest of the night was only just beginning, and students made their way to the powderpuff game.

The Homecoming Parade of 2018 was a blast, and the bar is set high for 2019.