Coach Carll Looks to Continue Cross Country Dominance

Dylan Riddoch, Reporter

Coach Edward Carll has been leading the Alden Cross Country team for the past 19 years and in that span has led the team to 7 Division Championships and 3 Sectional Titles. Carll has also enjoyed 4 Sectional Titles as Alden’s Wrestling coach. He has also been a coach for the Alden Football team, so as you can see he is very well versed in his coaching abilities. This season he is hoping to continue recent dominance of our Cross-Country team over the competition of the Division as he looks towards the bright future of the program.

Coach Carll said that his toughest opponent to face in the upcoming season would be the East Aurora Blue Devils Cross-Country team who has dominated the State Meet and the Section in recent years. The Cross Country team last season was lead by Class of ’15 graduate Dylan Servos. Senior Ray Boucher is expected to take over as a leader of the team, also being named captain of the team. Coach Carll described Raymond as a “Strong runner who leads by example and has a strong start to young season so far”.

The Cross Country team has had a growing rivalry with East Aurora who has been Number 1 in the state for the past 6. Coach Carll has high expectations for his runners; he would like Ray Boucher to make it to the State Meet. He said, “It will be tough but I think Raymond has the will power to pull it off”. He has many young runners this season that must adjust to larger roles but his goal is still the same, to win a Division Title (His 8th in a long illustrious career as the Cross-Country coach), which will be a challenge because in the last 2 years he has graduated eight seniors but the goal is the same nonetheless to continue the winning tradition.

Be sure to come support your Alden Cross-Country team at their next home meet on September 22 vs. Tonawanda High School at 4:30 pm behind the High School. The team would love positive attitudes to help cheer on the Alden High runners.