September Students of the Month

Students’ hard work and positive attitudes shine through in the new year

Lyle Grant, Reporter

It seems like just yesterday that everyone was coming into school on the first day and the summer heat was causing day dreams in sleep deprived students.  Many students however, worked through the heat and day dreams and thrived in the classroom.

Students of the Month exhibit hard work in the classroom and a willingness to learn.  September’s students extend from new freshmen to seasoned seniors and everything in between.  Congratulations to September’s Students of the Month:

Ashley Dusza- Art

Matthew Tolsma- Business

Katie Williams- English

Phoenix Lasker- Foreign language

Julia Wrest- Math

Alexander Hamilton- Music

Sara O’Connor- Physical Education

Max Gucinski- Science

Alexander Bennett- Social Studies

Nick Schweitzer- Technology

Carmela DeVita- Health

I asked each teacher to send a blurb so that we could gain a little insight to reveal what these students did that made them stand out above all others.  Katie Williams was nominated by Advanced Placement English teacher, Mr. Currin.  “…it’s early in the year but so far in class, Katie has been stellar.”  Katie is a leader in Mr. Currin’s class and he looks forward to seeing what she can accomplish this year.

Max Gucinski is a senior in Mrs. Fishers’ class.  In class this year Max has shown outstanding character traits in the fields of hard work, positive personality and over all politeness.   You can always count on Max to lighten the mood with his witty humor and extroverted personality.

Carmela DeVita was nominated for her hard work and participation in Mr. Casillos’ Health class.  “Carmela’s participation in class is fantastic.  She is always willing to lend a helping hand for her fellow classmates.”

Hard work and effort can always give you an edge in the classroom.  The harder you work the more a teacher will take notice of you. Positive character traits are really what pop in the classroom.  These students all possess these attributes and it helps them thrive in the classroom.

Alexander Bennet is a Sophomore in Mr. Kryszczuk’s Global History class.  When asked about Alex, Mr. Kryszczuk had nothing but good things to say.  “He participates in class on a regular basis. Alex always comes to class ready to learn and seems to like History more than the average student.  Alex comes into class every morning with a positive attitude and a readiness to learn.”

Julia Wrest was selected by Mrs. Regdos.  Julia is a part of her Pre-Calculus class.  She is always coming in for help with already completed homework and is full of thoughtful questions. These efforts truly exemplify her readiness for college.

Phoenix Lasker was selected for the Student of the Month in Foreign Language. Mrs. Puntoriero says that Phoenix is not afraid to speak in a different language and is all about effort and attitude. Mrs.Puntoriero hopes that all other students model after Phoenix and her hard work.

Ashley Dusza is a student in Mrs. Kosinski’s AP Art Workshop. Mrs. K says that Ashley’s work ethic is outstanding and the quality of her work is exceptional. Over the summer, Ashley was always the first one done with her assignments which shows her huge commitment to the class.

Nick Schweitzer was selected By Mr. McConkey for his Design & Drawing for Production class. As a freshman, Nick has shown great attributes to becoming a positive influence in the high school. “His work is extremely neat and always accurately completed.  Nick has a real knack for technical drawing and works diligently each and every day.”

Matthew Tolsma was selected for his contributions in Mr. Turton’s I.C.E. class. Matt is currently working on restoring and old milling machine in the class. He and his team are diligently working hard on the project to bring it back to life. Mr. Turton says Matt is always willing to help a student and s the first one to volunteer when help is needed.

Alexander Hamilton and Sara O’Conner were both also nominated for their hard work in class and leadership among their peers.

Congratulations to all students and keep up the positive effort!