Impressive Turnout at Friday’s Tailgate

Thomas Bednarski, Sports Reporter

In preparation for the big football game against Canisius to finish off the Homecoming Week, a tailgate party was held to draw in fans. There was candy, Carbone’s pizza and hot dogs to eat. Students were throwing footballs around and also playing Kan Jam in the parking lot. Students, parents & alumni showed up to the tailgate. The turnout was fantastic, drawing in the most fans to the game this year by far.

Awards were given out to encourage Alden fans to be spirited. The “Cornfield” Award was won by Tim Pellitieri because he carried a bundle of corn stalks on his shoulder throughout the entire tailgate. In addition to Tim, Julianna Muscoreil won the “Most Spirited Award” because she led a large group of students in cheers around the parking lot with a megaphone. The entire event was featured on Channel 7 News. The large group of fans, led by Muscoreil, welcomed the Crusaders off of their busses with various Alden chants. In addition to the tailgate, the field was decorated by some students with corn stalks after the Canisius Student Section, the Blue Crew, called the Alden football field the cornfield. This statement by the CHS Blue Crew was brought to life and also aided in a large turnout for both the tailgate, as well as, the football game.