Alden Robotics Team Begins 2nd Season

Jill Peruzzi, Senior Reporter

The Alden Cosmobots (previously known as the Alden Knights) are starting off their second season with a lot of optimism, and rightfully so. They have been working hard since September with two meetings per week to discuss and assemble their robot.They are doing a lot of testing and prototyping on their multiple designs to prepare for their first competition on December 17th.

Last year, the team went all the way to the Utica Regional competition and placed 4th. They also brought home the Motivate, Connect, and Inspire awards from the FTC (FIRST Tech Challenge). All of this success is due to the Cosmobots’ immense amount of ambition. Coach Turton says, “I have coached a lot of teams in a variety of sports, and the grit and determination of this team rivals any other.”

Another important mission of the Alden Cosmobots’ is to continue their community outreach. They participate in many events to inspire an interest in robotics, science, and technology in younger students.

Alden’s own robotics team is part of the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) community that consists of an estimated 46,000 students and 4,600 teams in 17 countries. Participation in the program is said to positively impact students’ performances in school. According to the FIRST website, over 86% of participants have a greater motivation to do well in school and 87% are more interested in attending college.

After performing so well in their rookie year, the Alden Cosmobots are expected to go far this season. They definitely have the potential and drive to succeed at the highest level.