Alden Brings Back The 50’s

Jordan Lorenc, Feature Reporter

On Friday, April 21st at 6 to 9pm the annual Senior Citizens dance was held for the 4th year in a row. 4 Years ago 2 students started the annual Senior Citizens dance for a Service Project. 2 Years ago Miss Zeigler and Miss Chaves took over and became a huge part of the event. Their roles in the event are to organize and reserve the location for the dance. They also give information out to the senior community committee. They basically do all the things that students don’t have access to.

This year, the event is hosted by National Honor Society students and Mrs. Wasmer’s leadership class. They were responsible for decorating and doing finishing touch’s to put the event together. There were a variety of different activities available for the senior citizens attending the dance including a photo booth, entertainment, a dance floor, food and beverages and a door prize announced in the middle of the dance. The middle and high school jazz bands, and park street put on a performance that they loved Friday night. This year’s theme was the 50’s.

The senior citizens committee decided on the theme themselves. Last years dance had a theme of a Hawaiian luau. The other two years there wasn’t a specified theme, seniors just came to take a blast in the past to their high school proms. The event was completely free for the seniors and they were welcomed to walk in the night of the dance. There were forms that were delivered to the committee giving information about the dance and a RSPV form that was returned to the office for a head count before hand. Like every year, the event was a huge success and the Senior Citizens had a blast dancing the night away.

I talked to Miss Zeigler about why she was so involved in this event. She said that “ The event was such a huge hit when the boys started it. The senior citizens are a riot. There aren’t a lot of events that bring them back to the school. We always enjoy the happiness it brings to all of them.”