Bethany Dudley: Portfolio

Bethany Dudley, Reporter

Hi everyone, I’m Bethany Dudley with WACS News.

My part in WACS News was a reporter, then I became a sports reporter, and eventually when our class switched over to the Breakfast Blend segments I became responsible for reporting on the Primary School. This class has been a journey and I learned I am not interesting in broadcasting or news reporting for news.

Next year I plan on going to harkness for cosmetology, which I am very interested into. I like hands-on work. Last year, as a Freshman I was in Freshman Seminar and I had to make a PSA. I used iMovie to make my video. Every other day I would be in the ALC, and Mr. Currin was one of the teachers in the classroom. He helped me make my PSA and showed me a few key tips on how to use iMovie. That’s what made me interested in Multimedia Production. I also enjoyed watching the videos that WACS News made. When I started the Multimedia class it was different than I thought. I wasn’t aware of everything they actually did in the class. I just had fun with iMovie, and Mr. Currin told me I should join the class. So I tried something new.

In the beginning of the year I was a sports reporter for Girls Varsity Tennis. I enjoyed doing that because I was on the team and had a lot of information on it already. This was the first video I made and there are many things that could’ve been improved.

When Tennis ended I became the sports reporter for Varsity Bowling, and I failed on getting footage and videos for that. It was hard to bowl and video at the same time, and I never had anyone come video for me. That was one of the flaws I had in the beginning of the year. I did not work hard enough or push my self to get things done.

Over the course of the year I have over come many struggles I was having. I have had a couple of terrible videos but towards the end of the year they got better.

I enjoyed recording my video with Josh Chester when we went to the Intermediate School and read them a book, and cooperated Rachel’s Challenge into it for our Public Speaking class. It turned out being a good video.

I made a video around Christmas time. I asked teachers what they wanted the most for Christmas during their childhood and what they wanted this year for Christmas. It was a fun video to make. Our generation has definitely changed, due to all the technology we have.

When I became the Primary School reporter my first story was on Mr.Schimia’s class celebrating Dr. Suess’s birthday. This was my first time working with younger kids and it was out of my comfort zone, but the more I went to the school for assignments the more I got used to it.

Another video I made was when parents came to visit music class with their child in Mrs. Olkas class. The students played a few games with singing and learning music incorporated in them. They also showed their parents how they learn music by using a “music street”

One story I made while being the Primary School was on the 2nd graders moving up to the Intermediate School. Mrs. W talked about how they prepare the students to move up to the new school. Younger kids are more shy and aren’t used to being asked questions on camera. But it was fun asking them questions on how they felt about moving up.

The last video I made in the WACS News class was on proposition 2 purchase of new buses. I interview Deborah Hoffman on the budget vote. This was my best video I made, I was persistent and manage my time well while making this video.

While taking this class there were many things I had to learn. I had to learn how to make proper intros to my videos, and also make a closing. I had to learn how to use the equipment, and how to use iMovie to make my videos. In class we also learned how to send professional emails. In order to be successful in this class you have to manage your time and be creative in your own way while making videos. I think to be successful in this class it would help if you were involved in school activities, clubs or sports. That gives you the chance to know what is going on in Alden, and come up with good stories. This year I have learned how I need to manage time and all my assignments. 1

Through out the year my stories got better, and so did my effort in my work. Thank you Mr. Masci and Currin for the experience in this class.