Innovative vs. Industrial

Carolyn Freeman, Associate Producer

In Mr. Currin’s AP Literature class, I had the opportunity to view the documentary “Most Likely to Succeed”. The documentary walked through the history of the education system throughout the past century in the United States. Technology and economy may be rapidly changing, but the school system has hit a standstill. With the One-to-the-World initiative in full swing, I wondered exactly how students are being prepared for jobs that haven’t even been invented yet and what types of skills should teachers promote to allow students to grow. Should students be driven by critical thinking and problem solving or sit behind a desk memorizing for a test? I asked a few teachers and principal Ryan for their opinions on the advocating of this momentous shift in education and teaching styles.            

Each of the interviewed individuals had their own insight on how the traditional school system is changing. Through the use of the One-to-the-World initiative, our district is working towards a modern day approach to the skills needed to contribute to and function in society. Although technology is major component of the strategy to foster innovators, the crucial skills of the 21st century need to be pushed in schools through an up to date curriculum promoting communication and collaboration between students and their peers.

As Mr. Currin left us with, that is what Alden is trying to do. The radical change in the shift of education is going to change how prepared seniors are as they walk out of Alden High School. The initiative in our school district will prove as a guide to further creating innovative, creative thinkers rather than students obsessed with passing test.