Winter Sports Tip-Off

Cole Shadle, Sports Editor

Low and mid-risk sports have received the green light to start up.

On January 19, rifle, boys swim, and bowling will begin practices. Although this abbreviated season will be less than ideal, Alden’s athletes and coaches are excited to begin.

We spoke to Coach Eggink to discuss what the rifle season will look like this year, as well as his thoughts and expectations. Coach said that this season will incorporate masks, social distancing and proper sanitation, just as if the athletes were in school. Coach Eggink is excited for another year of rifle to begin and believes that it will be fun despite the restrictions.

The athletes we spoke to were ecstatic for their sports season to start, even with the health and safety protocols put in place. It has been nearly four months since a sports game here at Alden, and the drought will be coming to a close beginning January 19. However, not all sports will be starting up, as higher risk sports such as basketball, hockey and wrestling will begin their seasons in February.

An overall sense of excitement have swept over Alden’s student athletes, and is a breath of fresh air since the almost four-month hiatus. The season will obviously be condensed due to its late start time, as tryouts will begin for a few days and teams will go guns blazing into the short but sweet year. We wish all athletes participating in this years season good luck!