Alden’s Senior, Kyle Urban, wins Class C State Championship

On Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021, Alden’s very own Kyle Urban made history. 

“I did it,” Kyle proudly stated at Chenango Valley State Park after he was the first to cross the finish line during the Class C Section VI Race, granting him the title of Class C State Champion.

His passion for running came from his parents, who ran track and cross country in high school. His Alden cross country career began in 2017 when he started running during his 8th grade year. His freshman year in 2018 helped to shape him as a runner when his senior mentor, Bobby Adams, guided him through the start to his very successful cross-country career.  

***

Watch: Kyle Urban: Runner

“I’ll tell you what. Every time you have a talented senior mentoring a freshman with talent, you’re gonna have a great outcome,” said Alden High School Cross-Country Coach Mr. Carll of Kyle’s freshman year.

That year, he placed within the Top 10 at every meet, placed 3rd at ECIC’s, as well as qualified for sectionals where he placed 2nd by a difference of only one second. With all of these accomplishments, Kyle attended the state meet that same year where he placed 22nd. Kyle set a goal for himself his freshman year which was to win that race by his senior year. 

The following year Kyle was ranked 3rd in Class C throughout the entire state. As a sophomore he was able to lead the boy’s cross-country team to a division title for the 10th year in a row.