STEAM Career Fair Preview

Jill Peruzzi, Reporter

The Future Business Leaders of America club will be hosting the first annual STEAM Career Fair on Friday, November 13th. The goal is to show students how Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics can be used beyond High School by introducing them to relevant professions. Over 20 colleges and businesses will be in attendance from 9 am to 2 pm in the Technology Wing and Innovation Lab. With prior teacher permission, students can attend the event during any block for any length of time as an in-house field trip. Also, teachers are invited to bring their classes.

There will be a wide variety of jobs available for students to explore. These include Digital Media, Sound Recording, Architecture, Interior Design, Computer Science, Quality Control, Medical Manufacturing, CNC Precision Machining, Electrical Engineering, Design Engineering, and more.

Demonstrations and small group conversations will be happening all day in the Technology Wing. There will be hands-on activities for students to try out some of the skills required for certain careers. In addition, representatives will be providing information in the form of posters, handouts, and presentations. Students can get plenty of opportunities for shadowing, field trips and facility tours, non-paid exploratory internships, paid summer co-ops, pre-apprenticeship programs, and current job openings. There will also be three 45 minute long panel discussions to be held at 9:15, 11:30, and 1:15 in the Innovation Lab. During these times, a group of professionals will be available to answer questions and offer career path tips to students.

Mr. Turton is the advisor of the FBLA club. “I’m most interested in seeing what the Innovation Center in Downtown Buffalo brings. They have a representative from bioinformatics and life sciences who works at Roswell and the UB Medical Center,” he remarked. The representative will be presenting information about human genome, among other things. “It will be pretty exciting for students to see how chemistry and biology are applied in the real world. Really just down Broadway they’re using it to cure cancer,” says Mr. Turton.

Everyone can look forward to a lot of movement it the halls that day. It will be similar to the Skilled Trades and Manufacturing Day that took place last spring. “We’re trying to create a good foundation so that (students) have opportunities down the road,” Mr. Turton added.

The following colleges and industries will be present for the STEAM Career Fair:

* Siemens Industry, Inc.

* NYS Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences

* 43 North

* SUNY ECC Biomanufacturing

* Lancaster Knives

* Greatbatch Medical

* CNC Maintenance and Repair

* Graham Corp.

* Danforth

* DWC Mechanical Inc,

* Casey Machine

* Buffalo Niagara Manufacturing Alliance (BNMA)

* Sharp Tooling

* Expressed Impressions

* Niagara Frontier Custom Fabrication

* Custom Sheet Metal

* CNC Technical Solutions Inc.

* SUNY ECC, Computer Repair & Electronics Department

* Buffalo State College, Industrial Technology

* Buffalo State College, Career and Technical Education

* University at Buffalo, Computer Science Engineering

* Programmable Equipment

* Local 71 Sheet Metal Workers Union

* RealityWorks