Character Education Project

Alden Middle School students work together to create a large bulletin board for the new Character Education program.

Lyle Grant, Reporter

It’s not often that you hear about a student’s good character.  Much too often, positive character traits are overlooked and more attention is directed towards correcting bad character.  Unfortunately, due to this never ending correction of bad character, great character goes un-noticed.  Alden Middle School, however, is no longer letting good character go un-recognized.

Character Education is a new program sweeping the halls at Alden Middle School.  Every month, a new character trait is revealed.  Much like student of the month, as the month comes to a close a student will be chosen as the character award winner of the month.  This month’s character trait is “Tolerance”.  Tolerance is being able to show sympathy and patience towards people different from themselves.

Middle School Technology teacher Mr. Erhardt and several students were asked to construct a bulletin board to display the character trait of the month.  After asking how large the board should be constructed, the crew was shocked when they were told the make the board 4 feet high and 8 feet long!

The large board helps put emphasis on exactly how important Character education is in the Middle School.  The added bonus of this project is that it is truly a collaborative real-world project and it is being student-led. Hopefully,  with this new appreciation on character, more students will strive to be better students and overall better people.