Keeping Alden Connected!

WACS News.

Keeping Alden Connected!

WACS News.

Keeping Alden Connected!

WACS News.

Rachel’s Challenge: Her Story, Our Contribution

The mission of Rachel’s Challenge’s is to address the root causes of school violence, bullying, prejudice, and self-harm through student wellness programs. The program stemmed from the tragic events that took place at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, that shook the foundation of our nation. Rachel Joy Scott, one of the 13 victims of the Columbine shooting, had inspirational ideas of compassion and kindness to share with the world that will undoubtedly live on forever.

On Sept. 20, award winning hip-hop musician and public speaker Neil McIntyre gave the Alden Central School District an inspiring presentation. McIntyre presented the Scott family’s story in a heart-touching way, with the intention of encouraging students to stand up for others and act on kindness and compassion rather than hate. McIntyre’s speech beautifully portrayed Rachel Scott’s hopes for a kinder world.

“This world is so divided right now,” McIntyre said. “There’s so many mass shootings going on, there is so much more violence.”

In Rachel’s own words, “I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same.”

ACSD students accepted Rachel’s challenges without hesitation. Here in Alden, students now understand the importance and impact of the legacy left behind by Rachel Joy Scott and will continue to honor her memory.