Veterans Day Assembly

Alden High School welcomed almost 50 veterans in honor of Veterans Day

Max Northem, Producer

Delaney Keppner, News Anchor

In 1918 before the official end of World War I, hostilities between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. This is the reason that Veterans Day began on November 11, 1918, and is a day dedicated to honor the service of all those who have served, or are serving our country.

On November 6th Alden High School welcomed almost 50 veterans in honor of this day. The assembly was held during advisement in the auditorium where the veterans and students were seated. The High School band provided a patriotic medley for all attending to enjoy. Also, Park Street Voices performed The Star Spangled Banner along with official marches of each branch.

Veterans spanning from World War II to those currently serving were present at the event. Also present was Rear Admiral Rebecca McCormick-Boyle who was the featured guest speaker. She spoke about her experience after being commissioned in 1981 and reported to Naval Hospital Orlando. She included in her testimony her reasons for joining, the advantages of serving our country and what life lessons she took away from her service. In addition to these she pointed out the benefits to being promoted to Rear Admiral lower half in July 2012 and rear admiral upper half in April 2014 along with the role of director of the Navy Nurse Corps at this time.

WACS News spoke to Rear Admiral McCormick–Boyle following the assembly along with many others Veterans. We asked them about their experiences, why protecting our country, and what they learned from their service.