Basketball and Swimming Winter Preview

Morgan Rutan, Sports Reporter

The winter season is approaching for our athletes as the coaches and players get excited. I had a chance to speak with two winter coaches to see what they were looking forward to for this upcoming season. Andrew Smith the boy’s varsity basketball coach explained how he has a lot of faith in his team this year and hopes to win the division, which hasn’t been accomplished in a very long time. Coach Smith explained, “ I am excited about the season to start but mostly to see how well we will improve”. Not just the coach but the boys as well are excited for their first game/scrimmage, which will be Friday November 27 at Williamsville East High School. Asking Coach Smith who the key contributors would be this year he stated, “ It’s hard to tell at this point, everyone gets to prove themselves and earn the playing time they deserve”. The team does have many players that helped the team out a lot last year who have returned to do the same this year. Dylan Riddoch and Jordan Stockweather are seniors who were apart of the starting line up last year, also holding the title of captains. Christian Snell was the leading scorer from last year and is returning this year; hopefully he will impact the team again. Last but not least Conrad Boucher who holds the point guard position is back again and as Coach Smith explained, “ I think they will show a lot of improvement this year”. Good Luck to the boys as the season begins.

Boys varsity swim coach Liz Osucha talked about her team as the season is beginning. What she is looking forward to most this season is ECICS and the team’s sectional meets. Asking her who the key contributors will be she stated “ Evan Fix for distance, Sam Cansdale for sprinter, Jeff Kuznik for diving and Matt Lamb for breast stroke”. She is very excited for this season and her long-term goal for this year is for the boys to get their best times and to have the whole team make sectionals. Best of Luck to the team as they continue to train for their meets.