National Honor Society Inducts 18 New Members

Valerie Weisbeck, Social Media Manager

On Tuesday, March 29th, the Alden High School chapter of the National Honor Society held an induction ceremony for its 18 new members, all of which are in the Junior class. The program started at 7 PM with the lighting of the candle of Knowledge. NHS President, senior Victoria Heist, was the Master of Ceremonies.

High School Principal Mr. Kevin Ryan introduced the keynote speaker, Mrs. Elaine Becker Grant, a music teacher at Kenmore East Middle School. She is an Alden alumnae (Class of 1985) and was an NHS member while she was in high school. She spoke on the four pillars that make up NHS: Character, Service, Leadership, and Scholarship. She also spoke of her husband, the late Gary Grant, who was a boys’ swimming coach at Alden High School for 20 years.

Following her speech, NHS Secretary Mark Mychajluk spoke on Scholarship, Vice President Emily Beres spoke on Leadership, Treasurer Emily Beisiegel spoke on Service, and member Laura Karlnoski spoke on Character. At this point, the senior members of NHS introduced the new Junior members and placed the honorary NHS stoles around their necks. They recieved membership certificates and cards from the club advisors, Mrs. Ziegler and Mrs. Chaves. They also took the NHS pledge, which commits themselves to dedication and service to the club.

Finally, the senior members announced their future plans to the audience, including what college they are attending and for which major. NHS would like to thank Superintendent Mr. Adam Stoltman, High School Principal Mr. Kevin Ryan and Assistant Principal Mr. William MacCowan, and the school board members in attendance. They would also like to thank the parents and families of the members of NHS for attending the ceremony.

Congratulations to the following 18 new inductees of NHS:

Carl Aldinger
Maggie Arnold
Cailyn Bennett
Jocelyn Borynski
Emily Dick
Carl Ferrell
Max Hamilton
Allison Hillman
Cheyenne Karalus
Samantha Landahl
Curtis Petschke
Jenna Rutowski
Paige Rzepka
Katie Schadt
Brooke Strausbaugh
Erin Urbanski
Julia Wrest
Steffanie Zehler