8th Grade Washington DC Trip

Jill Peruzzi, Reporter

On Wednesday, May 18th, Alden’s 8th graders boarded tour buses and got an early start on their seven hour journey to Washington DC. Their first stop included breakfast at Wegman’s in Williamsport, PA. They arrived in Washington in time for lunch and later visited the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and Natural History Museum. The group took their coveted picture in front of the White House and arrived at their hotel at 8:00 pm for dinner.

Day 2 included breakfast at the hotel followed by an informative tour of Ford’s Theater, the place where Lincoln was shot. Next, the students toured the Capitol building and had dinner at a local restaurant. The highlight of the day was exploring all of the famous monuments on the Washington Mall, including the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Vietnam Wall, Korean War, WWII, and FDR Memorials.

The 8th graders’ final day in Washington began with a solemn tour of Arlington National Cemetery. They witnessed beautiful displays of patriotism such as the changing of the guard and the eternal flame. The group returned back to Alden safely on Friday, May 20th. Everyone learned a lot of new things and made memories that will last a lifetime, making for a successful class trip.