Unity Day Assembly

Chris Dombrowski, Marketing Coordinator

On Tuesday, October 18th, Alden High School had the privilege of having national award winner Molly Kennedy speak at our Unity Day assembly. Molly spoke about having confidence in yourself and the effects of bullying. Molly also told us about her past and the struggles that she endured to get to the place she is today. Molly, who used to be a competitive body builder now goes around the country speaking to high schools spreading her positive message about self acceptance and power. Molly shares her stories with the student body to connect with them and tells honest stories to keep them engaged. Molly also wrote a book called “Building Resilient Students”, the book talks about getting up when life knocks you down. Molly even donated a copy of her book to our library here at the school.

While Molly spoke with us she talked to us about her life in New York before traveling around the country. She elaborated upon the problems that she had to deal with ranging from family problems to personal demons that she had to shake off.  These perseverances led her to become the strong person she is today. Molly made it a point to talk about social media and how it is affecting people in high school and how everyone is constantly judging themselves and comparing themselves to others they see. Having Molly at our school for this assembly was a great privilege and the messages she left us with will linger in the hallways and the students for a long  time.