WNY College Consortium Visits Alden High School

Paige Rzepka, Producer

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 Alden High School hosted the annual Western New York College Consortium. Students were excused from class and were able to stop down in the lobby outside of the auditorium to get some information about colleges in the Western New York area. There were representatives from 19 colleges handing out flyers, pamphlets, and gathering interested students’ contact information. Alfred State, Alfred University, Bryant & Stratton , Buffalo State, Canisius, Daemen, D’Youville, Erie Community College, Fredonia, Genesee Community College, Hilbert, Houghton, Medaille, Niagara County Community College, Niagara University, St. Bonaventure, Trocaire, University at Buffalo, and Villa Maria College were all represented on Thursday. The event was first open to all seniors but as time went on, juniors, sophomores, and even some freshmen were able to come down as well to take a look at colleges around the area. Students were given a variety information ranging from tuition and fees to majors and programs offered each school. As a whole, students seemed excited to get an idea of what colleges were out there and what majors they can choose to study. A representative from Niagara County Community College mentioned that it was “insert quote here.” He told WACS News that often times students only focus on the digital connection rather than taking the time to set up an interview or visitation for a prospective school. Having an event like this knocks down those barriers and opens students up to the world around them. Overall, the College Consortium was extremely successful and beneficial for all students that attended.