Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Opens Thursday at Alden High School

Staff, Staff

Alden High School is gearing up for another smash hit musical! The High School Theatre Club invites you to step into the enchanted world of Broadway’s modern classic Disney’s Beauty and the Beast!  Based on the Academy Award-winning animated feature, the stage version includes all of the wonderful songs written by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman, along with new songs by Mr. Menken and Tim Rice. The original Broadway production ran for over thirteen years and was nominated for nine Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

The classic story tells of Belle (Paige Rzepka), a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast (Everett Gilbert), who is really a young prince trapped under the spell of an enchantress. Also under the spell are Lumiere (Carl Farrell), Cogsworth (Carl Aldinger), Babette (Brooke Meyer), Madame de le Grande Bouche (Jocelyn Borynski), Mrs. Potts (Brooke Strausbuagh) and her son Chip (Lily Hart & Mason Appleton). If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end and he will be transformed into his former self. But time is running out. If the Beast does not learn his lesson soon, he and his household will be doomed for all eternity. Along the journey, the Beast faces conflict with Gaston (Dylan Kiener) who works with his sidekick LeFou (Ian Johnson).

Those who have attended Alden High School productions over the last several years have most likely noticed drastic improvements in the venue, and in showmanship in general, and this production will be no different. This iconic “tale as old as time” directed by Mr. Matt Masci and Mrs. Lori Gramza is filled with spectacular Broadway-quality costumes under the direction of Mrs. Amy Froebel. Mrs Gramza has once again worked with the incredible cast to choreograph some of the most exciting numbers to hit the Alden stage. Under the design and direction of Mr. Masci, the technical elements and set design won’t disappoint either. The audience will experience some of the most incredible modern lighting and set design elements used thanks to Stage Manager Brad Roberts, Lead Technician Max Northem, and technical volunteers TJ Northem, Tom Northem, and Chris Clark. Technicians have been working behind the scenes to provide incredible lighting and sound design that truly ties the show together while modernizing it along the way. Special effects makeup will also be utilized under the direction and mentoring of volunteer Bill Holdsworth.

Students will perform preview showings Wednesday to all students and staff Grades 2-12 as well as Universal Pre-K students and their parents. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast offers a great opportunity to bring your entire family together to experience theatre at its best for all ages. The production opens tonight, February 9th at 7pm and will also be performed February 10th, and 11th at 7pm with a matinee Saturday at 2pm. Tickets are $12 and available online at aldenschools.org/boxoffice. Senior Citizens receive discount pricing at the door with proof of ID. For behind the scenes pictures and info, be sure to like the auditorium Facebook page by searching ‘Wilson R. Conrad Memorial Auditorium’.