The History of March Madness

Jacob Eberle, Sports Reporter

It’s officially March, and despite the cold weather, that’s not stopping the signs of spring from emerging. For sports fans across the nation, their #1 sign of spring is the NCAA March Madness tournament. The tournament is a tournament of extreme magnitude in which 68 teams battle it out to determine which team is the best college basketball team in the nation. The tournament has been around for many, many years, dating all the way back to the early 1900’s. The first March Madness tournament, however, was held by the Illinois High School Association in 1908. The tournament started off as a small invitational events for the surrounding areas. It wasn’t until the 1930’s that over 900 high school teams started competing in their own March Madness tournaments. It finally earned its name “March Madness” in 1939 after it was dubbed the famous name by Henry V. Porter in an essay he wrote. 1973 was the year it finally was nationally coined “March Madness.” Some of the greatest NBA stars participated in the tournament, such as Michael Jordan and Larry Bird. The tournament begins March 16th, and in fact, several of the games will be held right here in Buffalo, New York. It’s certainly an exciting tournament for all sports fans and for everyone involved. Who’s your pick for the national champ?