Alden Middle School Produces Singin’ in the Rain Jr.

Paige Rzepka and Brooke Strausbaugh, Producers

This year, Alden Middle School decided to tackle an exciting and classical show. Singin’ in the Rain Jr. will be gracing the middle school stage Thursday March 23rd, Friday March 24th, and Saturday March 25th, 2017. Students have been working since November on this newly released show and couldn’t be more excited to perform it.

This show, originally a classic film starring Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O’Connor, is filled with a plethora of upbeat songs and exciting dance numbers. Students involved in this show were challenged since a majority of the cast was unfamiliar with the show prior to auditions. The directors told WACS News that they were advocating for students to really find their character and make it their own. Instead of trying to mirror the character that was on the big screen, the directors want the cast members to learn about their character and develop a way that they would like portray them.

This large cast consisting of students from all around the Middle School is under the direction of Mrs. Erin Tryka and Ms. Stephanie Genco. The directors have really enjoyed working with the students over the last few months. In an interview with WACS News, Ms. Genco said, “The kids have made a lot of progress.” On the technical side of things, Mrs. Sarah Schall is taking the lead for the first time at the middle school. Mrs. Amy Sheehan is in charge of making and designing all of the beautiful costumes for the production.

Everyone involved in this production has been working tirelessly to make the show as incredible as it can be, so you won’t want to miss it! Performances are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, March 23rd-25th at 7:00pm. There will also be a 2:00pm matinee on Saturday the 25th.Tickets for the show are $7.00 each and can be purchased at the door or online by going to www.aldenschools.org/boxoffice. Seats are filling up fast so be sure to get yours today!