2017 NHS Induction

2017 NHS Induction

Jill Peruzzi, Senior Reporter

The 2017 National Honor Society Induction Ceremony took place on Monday, March 27 at 7:00 PM in the High School auditorium. Thirteen juniors joined the likes of Taylor Swift, Michelle Obama, and Mr. Rodgers in becoming official members of NHS. The inductees have worked diligently to meet the requirements in the four pillars of scholarship, leadership, service, and character.

The ceremony began with a candlelight procession and the lighting of the Candle of Knowledge by NHS President Katie Schadt. A group of talented NHS members performed the National Anthem. Mr. Ryan then introduced the keynote speaker, Ms. Katy Defilippo, Valedictorian of Alden’s class of 1996, member of NHS, and current Certified Public Accountant. She emphasized the importance of the four pillars and how they are still prominent in her life today.

NHS officers then lit candles to correspond with each of the main aspects. Senior members read quotations from the inductees’ essays and placed stoles upon their shoulders. They received certificates and recited the NHS pledge as they were formally inducted. The ceremony concluded with the seniors sharing their plans for the future. A reception took place in the cafeteria.

The National Honor Society has been around since 1921. According to the NHS website, “chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.” Besides maintaing a GPA of 91% or higher for all four years of high school, members must demonstrate high standards of character and leadership while completing service hours for the betterment of the school and community.
Congratulations to this year’s inductees:

Emily Bush
Elizabeth Giglia
Lily Hart
Hanna King
Becky Kron
Rachael Kueker
Kirsten Lerner
Samantha Minotti
Sara Pasternack
Victoria Waters
Kerri Wilson
Jenna Wlostowski
Anna Yoerg