New Breakfast Blend Format a Success

Tim Hoy, Reporter

Last Friday, the third-ever “WACS News: Breakfast Blend” episode was released, featuring a special interview with Superintendent Mr. Adam Stoltman. The new morning-style format so far has been a big success.

The idea for a new format was introduced by Producer Dylan Kiener last semester. It was proposed because there are two separate WACS news classes, and both were producing a nightly news-style program. However, to spark new interest among students and give viewers something a little different, the idea for a whole new format took hold. It required a lot of revamping and a little retraining, but within a week we were ready for the air.

Along with the new format came some positional changes amongst the WACS news staff. Dylan Kiener continues to lead the team as Producer and Anne Kocher was promoted from Associate Producer to Producer. Tim Hoy has shifted over into a full time reporter role leading the drive on comedic content such as Jokes 101, entertaining promotion videos, etc. Brooke Meyer and Peyton Zelasko now join longtime Anchor Carl Aldinger who has been anchoring solo since the departure of Co-Anchor Alexis Marx. Abby Brown is assuming more of a role as Marketing Coordinator after Brooke Meyer shifting to the anchor desk from heading the Marketing department. We also have a few new segments, including Helpful Tips with Peyton and “Dear Abby” with Brown. So far, every episode we’ve been able to host a live interview- episode one was with the mayor of Alden, Mayor Manicki.

The new format definitely presents some new challenges- with a live interview each episode, there’s little room for error and a lot of preparation has to go into each episode. However, it’s worth it- the students seem to enjoy producing this style of news a lot more. A special budget coverage episode of the Breakfast Blend is in the works now and will be released before the big vote.