Veterans Day 2017 Recap

Brittany Chase, Reporter

November 9th of 2017 marked our sixth annual Veterans Day Assembly at Alden High School. There was an outstanding turn out from many different branches. Some including the Marines, Army, Air Force, National Guard, Coast Guard, Navy, and Color Guard. This year there were over fifty veterans. Throughout the assembly we had outstanding pieces from the High School Band and the Park Street Voices. We had three students who had participated in the Voices of Democracy Contest and read aloud little sections of their speech. Mrs. Kosinski’s Art class did an amazing painting for the veterans as well. The style of art they had done was “paint jamming.” The painting turn out to be and American Eagle with the American Flag. For this years assembly we had two wonderful guest speakers Mr. Gerald Leo and Sergeant Major William Zeughardt. These two men talked about their personal experiences. Mr. Leo talked about his life throughout the Air Force. Mr. Zeughardt talked about his experience at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. At this years assembly we had one of our very own seniors get sworn into the Army. To close out the assembly we had Chanel Kordasiewicz and senior class president Eric Mattoon read out the branches and the names of the veterans who had shown up for the assembly. After the assembly was over there was a reception held outside of our auditorium. Thank you to all of the veterans and staff who had shown up and made this assembly possible.