Find Your Passion And Take Action-Environmental Science PSA’s Tap Student Interests

Sam Bizub, Producer

With the new semester at Alden High School wrapped up, students are being introduced to new classes, projects, teachers and subjects. If you happen to have Miss Claflin this half of the year, you may be introduced to a new form of final project. Miss Claflin took an ambitious and bold approach of challenging her students to take action. She assigned her Environmental Science class to apply their knowledge of technology to create a brochure and a Public Service Announcement. This passion driven project had students diving head first into the changes they want to see in our environment. From pollution to dietary changes, each group obtained information and presented it in a way that grabs the public’s attention.

When I asked Miss Claflin how the One to the World initiative will effect this project in the years to come, she explained to me how much easier the project will go. The technology that will be right at the student’s fingertips will not only make sharing information easier, but it will also eliminate paper waste. Miss Claflin was impressed by her student’s passion and drive for this project and plans on continuing it in her years to come.

With some alterations; such as having her students take the action instead of just writing about it, this project will hopefully remain a success. The goal is to inspire the community through the brochures and PSAs. These attention snatching pieces will spark a conversation about pressing issues and urge people to make changes. Pairing passion with action is the best way to make a change.