The New Intermediate School Makerspace

Megan Harvey

Megan Harvey, Reporter

Prior to recent renovation, the hallway above the Intermediate School library was infamous for being a school and office supply wasteland. However, as dust continued to gather on old desks and mountains of boxes piled higher and higher, the Intermediate School staff came up with a plan. The IS Makerspace would soon come into picture, and would be a solution not only for the wasted space, but for student productivity. The Makerspace includes four education-themed rooms, each room providing activities correspondent to it’s theme. The hallway is comprised of a technology room, a science room, an engineering room, and an arts room of which is currently in the works. The space is most often used for recess, and is especially convenient during the winter when outdoor recess is unavailable. However, teachers will occasionally bring their students up during class in order to teach their students specific lessons based on the rotating activities within each room.

While the Makerspace may only be used by Intermediate students, it’s creation is part of a larger shift within the education system as a whole. Similar to the shift that the One to the World Initiative in the High School promotes, the Makerspace encourages student creativity, proactivity, and intrinsic motivation. One of the biggest goals that comes with the establishment of the Makerspace, is the inspiration of students to use the skills they learn throughout their futures as opposed to only impacting their youth.