World War II Veterans Connect with Students at Alden High School

Timothy Hinsken, WACS News Anchor

On Friday, November 9, 2018, Alden Senior High School held its annual Veteran’s Day Assembly. Gearing up for the assembly, many students in social studies classes wrote letters to various veterans thanking them for their service. Students were also presented with the opportunity to bring a veteran to school to accompany them to their first block class and then attend the assembly together. During the assembly, we heard from our key note speaker, Mr. Robert Anderson. Mr. Anderson is a World War II veteran whose job was planning support lines into the Allied Forces. Mr. Anderson spoke to the entire faculty, staff, and students about his experiences during the Second World War. He also had a few words of advice for the students from his past experiences. After the assembly, Mr. Anderson and Mr. Reader sat down and were able to talk to each other about their experiences and answer some students’ questions. Students from AP Literature and Mrs. William’s class were able to listen to Mr. Anderson and Mr. Reader speak and got to ask any questions that they had. Mr. Anderson and Mr. Reader had much to say and each gave advice to the students. It was an amazing experience for students to be able to sit and listen to two World War II veterans who were involved in the beginning and the end of the war. Many students will never get the chance to experience such a unique event like Mr. Anderson and Mr. Reader speaking, which made it an even more memorable experience.