Powderpuff 2022: The Rivalry Continues

Anticipation is running high for homecoming week. And nowhere is the competitive spirit more alive than in Alden High School’s annual Powderpuff football game.

Next week will be filled with fun activities, ending with the dance on Saturday night. The annual flag football game that everyone looks forward to is slated for Sept. 15, when teams will take the field: Freshmen/Seniors vs. Sophomores/Juniors.

Powderpuff is always competitive. The Freshman/Senior team is always striving for a win, but the seniors especially hungry for a victory before they graduate. The Sophomore/Junior teams is always confident about their skills on the field.

The buzz on the field gives us an idea of the Senior/Freshman team’s mindset.

“At this point, I don’t think it’s even a question, because you know it’s going to be seniors and freshman,” said AHS senior Benjamin Meyer. “That’s just how it is.”

The seniors and freshmen are very confident this year.

“I think the seniors and freshman have more advantage because the seniors have been playing for four years,” said AHS freshman Paige Lavarnway.

Make no mistake, the other team is just as competitive.

For freshman players, this is a new experience. Learning the game is important since so many may never have played. Each player is required to attend practices coached by faculty members and assistant coaches from the AHS football team. The players and coaches are hard at work to learn the game, bring their best and bring home a win for their classes.

This game takes place on the football field in the Alden Sports Park on Thursday, Sept. 15, 2022 directly after the parade and pep rally.