Students Attend Annual NYSTEA Conference

Carl Aldinger, News Anchor

On the sixth, seventh, and eighth of the month, thirteen Alden students from the High School Theater Club went to Callicoon, NY for the twentieth annual NYSTEA (New York State Theatre Association) Student Conference.  The students stayed in the Villa Roma Resort in the Catskills.

Each student took five workshops related to all aspects of theatre.  Workshops focused on improv, directing, auditioning, dancing, singing, acting, and technical skills.  The students are then able to bring back these new skills and apply them to their own high school productions, as well as guide other students in their theatrical abilities.

The students also were able to spend time doing other activities at the resort, which included bounce houses, bowling, snow tubing, swimming, a dinner and dance, and more.  The conference was a great time for many students to meet other thespians from all over the state.  However, because of the limited time–three days–at the conference, the connections among the theater-enthused students were not as strong as they are within Alden’s own productions.  According to Brooke Meyer, a junior who went on the trip, most schools remained with their own group over the weekend.  In the workshops, however, when students weren’t necessarily with people from their own school, they were encouraged to reach out and meet and interact with other schools.

The Theatre Club is anticipating another conference next year, when many new students will be able to attend given that so many members this year were seniors.