“WACS” of Kindness

WACS of Kindness

Paige Naab, Reporter

Valentines Day is filled with love and sweet memories. You can spend the day with your significant other, family, or just spending time with your friends. At Alden High School, we get to celebrate the caring holiday with a week of kindness. WACS News sat down with Mrs. Marko to learn more about Kindness Week.

Mrs. Marko explained that, once again, Friends of Rachel is promoting Kindness Week with a Kindness Contest. The only rule of the contest is to be kind! Teachers will be watching for students caught in an act of kindness and proceed to give the student a red ticket. Students can put their name on the back of the ticket and turn it into a red box in Mrs. Marko’s room, 130. Students should look forward to the Kindness Contest because they could win some “sweet” prizes each day. We also asked Mrs. Marko how rewarding it is for her as one of the planners of Kindness Week. She said, “this week brings great happiness because I know just how wonderful and kind the students of Alden are and I love any opportunity to recognize and thank students for being who they are… AWESOME!”

The function of this week is to give students and teachers the opportunity to show off their kindness. Friends of Rachel is teaming up with SADD to promote the week of kindness. They are decorating hallways and lockers with kind and positive sayings and creating a mural in the cafeteria, similar to thanksgiving. To continue celebrating the kindness, WACS News wanted to surprise some of the support staff with our very own “WACS” of kindness. We went to Mr. Ryan, Mr. Rizzo,and Mrs. Trautwein to surprise them with chocolate and a thank you letter from WACS News. They were all surprised by our sudden appearance but they appreciated the kind thank you we had to offer.