EXCEPTIONAL STUDENT: Mr. Neidel Recognizes Hayden

Hayden after his case was printed

Hayden after his case was printed

Alex Leigh, Anchor

As we’re just over half way through the school year, there have been several students catching the eyes of teachers throughout the district. WACS News is starting a new feature to give the students that go above and beyond the recognition that they deserve.

To start off we move over to the Intermediate school to a student of amazing computer ability, and recognized by some of the members of our Robotics Club. Hayden, from fifth grade excels in the ability to code and use computers.  There was an event in the Middle School for exploratory students that Hayden was among the first to be recognized. STEAM had a part in this event that allowed students to look at the works of the Robotics Club. Many students are generally interested in robotics, but when Hayden came along he came to learn and understand all that there was to offer. He watched one of the members of the club, Kevin M, work with some of the codes for one of the robots. He was able to write lines of code and astonished the minds of the Robotics members. The following year, at a Big Brother, Big Sister meeting, again the Robotics kids were there to show off their tech. I personally was there to watch the show, but realized Hayden watching each part move asking questions about things that I found to be extremely complex. Hayden is an exceptional student. Mr. Turton and Kevin M wanted to see more of Hayden in action. We emailed back and fourth between him, Kevin and his teacher Mr. Neidel. We made him form and code a case for a small computer with whatever time he needed. He performed well and beyond many in his age group. Hayden is someone that deserves to be recognized for his abilities. Thank you Hayden for working with us. Keep moving forward with the great work!

For other teachers that may have a candidate that you think excels in a specific skill or multiple skills. Email myself about that student and get them recognized.