Varsity Cagers Celebrate Seniors

Jacob Fairbanks, Sports Reporter

Recently, the Alden Boys’ Varsity Basketball Team honored their seniors.  On February 15th, seniors walked onto the court with their parents to be recognized. This year’s team has four seniors playing their last season at Alden High School. Emotions were high as they walked on the court for their last home game. It’s been a long season ending with a record of seven wins and fourteen losses. Every senior played their hearts out and enjoyed the experience very much.

Senior, Conrad Boucher competed his usual best to try and gain another win before playoffs. Conrad and his teammates found themselves in double overtime before finally falling to the Warriors of Tonawanda.  When quarter 4 was beginning to end and the Bulldogs were trying to secure the win, the Tonawanda Warriors were not ready to quit. Their team came together to score and tie the game up. The Bulldogs were tired, but would not give up. All the players kept trying their hardest to motivate each other and keep up the winning spirit. The Warriors got a last second bucket and tied the game up to head into the first overtime.

The first overtime was slow  in the beginning. The Bulldogs finally started up with a score a minute into the extra quarter. Both teams battled hard through their exhaustion. Alden was on top in the last few seconds of the overtime quarter, but the Warriors got another last second basket to tie the game up for a second overtime quarter. Coach Trzybinski looked confident about his whole team and drew up some plans on how to finish out the game with a win. This game being the last home game the seniors would play in a regular season, they were all playing their hearts out. Players were getting frustrated with the performance of the team in the second overtime quarter. The team unified to the best of their ability, but could not succeed in obtaining the win.

The team was upset, but that game was a good display of team unity. None of the players were offensive to the other team and were respectful to their opponents. The team went to their first post season game and lost. It was a devastating loss and ended the Bulldogs’ season. The team ended the season 7-14. Luckily, the up and coming new Bulldogs Varsity team has a chance to improve their game play and skills next year.