Digital Portfolio: Jordan Lorenc

Jordan Lorenc, Feature Reporter

Hi, I’m Jordan Lorenc from Wacs News. This year I had the pleasure of being a feature reporter. Next year I plan on attending GCC for my general studies. I enrolled in Multimedia Production at the end of my junior year because I heard from former students that they really enjoyed it and it was really interesting to be involved in the stories surrounding the school and community.

Over the course of the year I have created 15 video stories about numerous different subjects. The quality of my work has definitely improved without a doubt. Coming into Wacs News I had zero knowledge of creating video stories. I have learned how to efficiently use iMovie. This skill has improved my stories as a whole. My first story I covered as a Wacs News Reporter was about the new Cafeteria in the high school. After looking back it was very short and the editing was quiet choppy. I didn’t use any b-roll and I didn’t have an introduction or conclusion. Moving on down the year, my skills improved and ending the year off I tackled a story on a popular trend of the fidget spinners. As you can see in the video, I used b-roll, a voice over, transitions, music, pictures and titles.

Breaking the year down, a few stories I covered stood out more than others. One was a double story including a promo and then an interview about the 100th anniversary for Alden state bank. I got to meet with the bank president for more information and I got the opportunity to get a behind the scenes tour inside. The next story I took on was on a War Veteran Mr. Peter Reader. I traveled to his house with a small group of Wacs News reporters and he told us about his touching life story. Besides his service something else really hit home for us. Mr. Reader mentioned over and over how he wished that he could have received a diploma. After attending Alden’s annual Veterans Day assembly, he was presented his very own High School Diploma. It was truly a wonderful experience to be apart of. Being president of Donate Life Club really gave me an advantage of covering all the events associated with the club. I covered the field trip we took and had constant updates and promotions about what the clubs main purpose was. Wrapping up the year I started getting more creative with prom near by and I created a video about do’s and don’ts of dancing at prom. That video was fun to put together because I got to include other members at Wacs News and we all threw our funny ideas together to give viewers a good laugh. Most of my stories were more on a serious note while the last few showed another side.

While creating these stories I had to get the process down in order to improve on anything. I learned how to get good b-roll and how to do a voice over. I quickly understood iMovie and threw in something different into each episode every week, whether is was different music, background noises, transitions or titles, I always learned something new each week.

As for advice for future students, learning everything in the beginning might seem overwhelming but it’s so easy to get the hang of it. There is an obvious improvement in everyone’s stories. There is no one that got worst throughout the year. Wacs News serves the school by informing the community by being on top of recent or upcoming events happening in the school and around town. My overall experience in this class included mixed emotions, parts were extremely fun and others were very overwhelming. Over the course of the year in multimedia production I learned a lot of news production and video editing. I think this class would be really helpful to experience if you’re interested in broadcasting. In conclusion, if you’re truly looking for an easy elective class Wacs News is not a blow off and includes a decent amount of easy work to complete. You can make it as enjoyable or miserable, as you want. As senior year is coming to a close, were wrapping up our adventure here at Wacs News.