Middle School Innovation: The Quiet Shift

Megan Harvey, Reporter

We all know at this point that education needs to change, and in that aspect, Alden School District is ahead of the curve. The Surface Pros in the high school, the Makerspace in the intermediate, and the Character Café in the primary have all proved to be steps in the right direction. The middle school, however, is currently making a name for itself in that regard, and the subtle yet significant changes that’ve been happening over the years speak louder than any one aspect of the school ever could.

Middle School Principal Mr. Steven Smith has worked in education for nearly twenty years, but made the transition from elementary level education to Middle School Principal about five years ago. Because of his experience and unique perspective, Mr. Smith was the best person to have elaborate on the what, the how, and the why of educational development at Alden Middle.

While the overall dynamic of education is changing, technology is also taking it’s strides toward what it means to be a modern classroom in Alden Middle. Optional clubs like robotics and coding are now full, for-credit courses, and the surface pros are beginning to make their mark in the classroom, specifically through the current piloting of the surfaces with the sixth graders which is set to become a larger initiative in the near future. Because of this reasonably sudden transition, I decided to speak to a few teachers and get some perspective on how the surfaces are shifting the dynamic of their classrooms.

Mr. Smith goes on to express the importance of student-centered learning, which is not only a more constructive and interactive way of learning, but also more engaging.

Middle School Spanish teacher Sra. Santiago is probably one of the biggest advocates for student-centered, cooperative learning, and she describes why it is an essential attribute of the classroom and student engagement.

The transition that we see in the Alden Middle and across the entire district from old to new is more than a necessary change, but as expected, change does not come without its trials and tribulations. I asked Mr. Smith to elaborate on and address some of the concerns coming from parents, and even students about the current shift in education, and what that means for their futures.