Fireman Bob Visits Kindergarten Classes

Fireman Bob Visits Kindergarten Classes

Allissa Wery, Social Media Coordinator

The Alden Primary School’s Kindergarten classes welcomed Fireman Bob from the Batavia Fire Department on Wednesday, October 19. Mrs. Yates. Mrs. Scimia, and Mrs. Pletscher’s kindergarten classes had gathered in the commons area to learn all about his dangerous career and how fireman get ready for the job.

The kids helped the fireman properly get dressed, the students called out what equipment to put on next and what they thought he’d need to wear for the job. Before he got dressed, Mr. Bob passed around his fire proof jacket and helmet for the kids to see how heavy all his equipment really is! He got dressed, in his helmet, gloves, jacket, safety alarm, boots, flashlight and explained to the kids the step by step process of how he gets ready for a fire emergency. The kids were very interested and very excited to participate.

Fireman Bob taught the kids what to do if they are not able to get out of a burning building. Fireman Bob told to students they need to crawl on the floor to get to new locations in a burning building because smoke rises. Fireman Bob also taught them to tackle a fireman if they see one because they sometimes can’t see over all of the smoke. The kids got to try this out; Fireman Bob called them all down to practice “finding the firefighter” by tackling him to the ground.

The students also had a lot of interesting questions to ask Fireman Bob. One student had asked how long he had been a fireman for, he had claimed he had started out volunteering at age sixteen here, at our Alden Fire Department. The Alden Kindergarten classes would like to thank Fireman Bob for spending time speaking to the students and teaching them about Fire Safety and his job as a firefighter.