College, College, College

College, College, College

Brandi Persutti, Reporter

From the moment you hit your freshman year of High school, you are beginning to think about and talk with counselors about whats in store for you future. You are revolving your courses around what may interest you in college, meeting with counselors, talking to representatives, and hearing or seeing about it all around you. On March 16th 2017 Alden High school juniors have the option to attend The Buffalo Convection center for our annul College Fair, where we will be introduced to a variety of college options and meeting with the representatives.

When you’re first beginning to think “Hey, what do I want to do with my life” think “hey, what do I like” and think of classes you’d like to start taking, continue taking, and consider turning into a career. You are required to take a set of preparatory classes that are needed to receive your high school diploma. Junior year is very important for you, this is the year where your grades will really impact your future, for this is what colleges look at directly. Be sure to strive and keep up the grades! Keep your eye opened for scholarships offered through your school!

Near the end of your junior year and into your senior year, you’ll want to start getting recommendations. This is easy to discuss and organize with your school guidance counselors to get a start on where to begin. Begin going on campus trips to your choice of colleges. The best times are during Spring and Fall, so you can observe the campus during school hours and talk with current students. When you begin applying, you should be sure to apply to multiple options, in case your top one falls through.

If you plan on going to college, it is important to sign up to take the SAT and/or ACT, which are standardized tests that are required by some colleges. When it comes around, be sure to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA) and look into financial aid and the different packages. Compare packages and make your final decision at your top choice, then sign up for orientation. The last step is graduating High School and you’re on your way!