Metals Shop Improvements

Conrad Boucher, News Reporter

This year at Alden High School the metals shop has seen some major improvements throughout the year. Last year it was discussed about getting a new welding ventilation system in the metals shop as well as a CNC Lathe machine. The discussions are now over after the renovations were made, and both systems are now fully operational.

The new welding ventilation system is used to remove any harmful air contaminants from the air that may be caused or produced while someone is welding. This is extremely important to anybody that that works, visits, or teaches in the metals shop. The new ventilation system will secure safety of students and teachers in the metals shop. With a new system, it is safe to say the everyone is out of harms way from any air contaminants that may be caused by welding in the metals shop.

The new CNC Lathe Machine is a great edition to the metals shop and technology apartment here at Alden High School. A CNC Lathe Machine is a Computer Numerical Control machine that is used to cut through various materials such as wood or even metal. To use a CNC machine the operator must input the instructions into the computer that is linked to the CNC machine. The CNC machines reads the instructions and performs the tasks directed in the instructions. All the operator needs to do is input the instructions, put the right tools on the machine necessary for the project, and place the material that needs to be cut or carved in the machine. The CNC machine will make projects easier for students here at Alden. Not only will this machine help produce materials faster, but it will also expose students to a new machine, new techniques, and new ideas within the technology department at Alden High School.

The technology department at Alden High School is seeing many improvements and the new welding ventilation system and the new CNC lathe machine are just a few of many. Hopefully these improvements will inspire students to take more technology classes and see what really goes on in the tech department at Alden High School.